• PASSPORT – Ensure that your passport is valid for six months past your trip. Visit Passport Canada for Canadian passport information. PLEASE NOTE: Passport Canada recommends that you apply for a new passport if your current passport is damaged, destroyed or inaccessible. Travelers whose passport is damaged in any way could face significant delays or be denied entry at border crossings, or be denied boarding on flights.
• VISA – Determine if there is a requirement to obtain a Visa for the country you are visiting.
• VACCINES – Identify the recommended/required vaccines for where you are travelling.
• TRAVEL INSURANCE – Obtain travel insurance to adequately cover you for your trip.
• STOP YOUR MAIL – Call the post office and newspaper to stop delivery to your house.
• TURN DOWN YOUR THERMOSTAT – Turn down the heat or air conditioning and save some money on energy and electricity when you are away.
• THROW OUT OLD FOOD – Don’t come home to a surprise!
• HOUSE CHECKER –Arrange for someone to watch your house, water your plants and care for your pets.
• MARK YOUR LUGGAGE – Put a personal identifier on your luggage to make it easier to recognize your luggage and prevent a bag mix up at baggage claim.
• TRAVEL INFORMATION – Leave photocopies of travel documents (including reservations, airline tickets, passports and contact information) at home with a loved one.
What to Pack
• THE USUAL – Pack clothes, weather gear, underwear & socks, toiletries & cosmetics, etc.
• TRAVEL DOCUMENTS – Keep reservation numbers, travel insurance information, passports and visas with you; don’t pack these in your luggage!
• MONEY OR FOREIGN CURRENCY – Bring a working supply of cash, traveller’s cheques and credit cards.
• ELECTRONICS & CHARGERS – Pack your camera, laptop, cell phone, power converters and chargers.
• FIRST AID – Bring any necessary medication and medical supplies in their original containers.
• CARRY ON OR CHECKED LUGGAGE – Check out CATSA’s website to see which items are approved for your carry on or checked luggage.
What to Leave at Home
- PACK SMART - Not sure if you can take it with you? Check out CATSA's website for a complete list of items that are approved or not approved for either your carry on or checked luggage.
- PACK LIGHT - Leave unnecessary things at home. Travelling light is often faster, cheaper and less burdensome.
And most importantly, have fun and be safe!
Hunting Season - Tips on travelling by air with your hunting gear
Whether you're flying to your annual hunting spot or going on a once-in-a-lifetime hunting trip, click HERE for a few tips to help you and your hunting gear pass through security screening faster and easier.
For more information on requirements when you are travelling with hunting gear please contact your air carrier directly as they will be able to assist you further.